Friday, May 31, 2013

Tech Free for a month?

Thus the Lord used to speak to Moses face to face, just as a man speaks to his friend. When Moses returned to the camp, his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, would not depart from the tent. (Exodus 33:11 NASB)

I've been thinking a lot about vacation. Stephanie and I will be leaving for nearly 4 weeks out west. I have treasured our motorcycle adventures. They are a great time to focus just on each other and God. But, I am thinking about going a step further and going without my technology. That's really scary to me. Technology can be such a distraction. I should be able to discipline myself, but many times I can't. That comment is enough to prompt my "tech free" vacation. I still have a week to decide. 

Technology can be a distraction for me and my relationship with God. God wants to meet me face to face. He wants to hear my prayers. He wants ME as a friend. Just like Moses, he wants us to desire to be with him like a friend. The time I spend on Facebook or twitter could be spent with him. How can I say I don't have time, when I find time to surf the web. My priorities need to change. Can I do it for a month? Can I devote that time to him and talking with him? Should I give it up for a month? I would need to dig my old fashioned bible off the shelf. I would need to actually write my journals like I used to. 

It says a lot that I am struggling to make this commitment. 

No comments: