Sunday, August 7, 2011

Who's the enemy?

Psalm 143

A psalm of David.
 1 LORD, hear my prayer,
   listen to my cry for mercy;
in your faithfulness and righteousness
   come to my relief.
2 Do not bring your servant into judgment,
   for no one living is righteous before you.
3 The enemy pursues me,
   he crushes me to the ground;
he makes me dwell in the darkness
   like those long dead. 

4 So my spirit grows faint within me;
   my heart within me is dismayed. 

Who is the enemy? Do you have enemies? I certainly have people I disagree with. There might even be some people out there that want to see me fail, who take joy in my toils, problems, and hardship. But they are not the enemy. 

Today I had the privilege of listening to someone who has met the enemy. Today, I spent all day at Life Bridge Church. They hosted the event called Cross n' Dagger. This is a motorcycle / bike show outreach. It is a wonderful event. The church hires a secular band and runs the event like all SECULAR Bike Events. It just happens to be held at a Church on Sunday. They still hold services (4 of them today) but no real pressure is added to attend these services. Today Brian "Head" Welch, former lead guitarist with KORN was the speaker. Brian knows all about the enemy. He has seen the enemy and confronted this elusive enemy head on. Our number one enemy is OURSELVES! It's not other people, it lies within is us.....Our Sinful nature. 

Brian gave a powerful testimony today. He spoke how he had everything, million dollar recording deals, grammy's, fame, girls, everything. Yet, he was miserable. He fought drugs, an abusive marriage, and a life that was keeping him from being the father he wanted to be. He couldn't take who he was becoming and what he was doing to his daughter. He then came to know Jesus. He didn't change and then find Jesus. He found Jesus and then was changed by the grace of God! His powerful testimony and the power of the Holy Spirit changed peoples lives today. One of those people gave up his drugs on the spot. He will forever be changed. Many accepted Jesus! What an awesome day.

If you are interested in hearing more about Brian "Head" Welch, he has a book, "Save Me from Myself: How I Found God, Quit Korn, Kicked Drugs, and Lived to Tell My Story". I bought the book today and will read it soon. Regardless what you think about his music, his outlandish tatoos.(all of which were added after he accepted Christ and have Christian themes.),  he is being used by God to save people from their worst enemy...............themselves.

No comments: