Saturday, August 6, 2011

Please just Listen to me!

Psalm 142

    maskil[b] of David. When he was in the cave. A prayer.
 1 I cry aloud to the LORD;
   I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy.
2 I pour out before him my complaint;
   before him I tell my trouble.
 3 When my spirit grows faint within me,
   it is you who watch over my way.
In the path where I walk
   people have hidden a snare for me.
4 Look and see, there is no one at my right hand;
   no one is concerned for me.
I have no refuge;
   no one cares for my life.

If you don't know the story, David wrote this when he was hiding in a cave. He was hiding from Saul who was out to kill him. He was alone and miserable. Stephanie and I went to Wind Cave National Park on vacation and took a tour of the cave. As caves go, this one was uneventful. It didn't have the great stalagmites or stalactites like Carlsbad Caverns. It was pretty, but not awe inspiring. Most caves are dreary and depressing. When we were at the deepest part of the cave tour, the ranger shut off all the lights. I have never witnessed such complete darkness. I put my hand inches from my face and couldn't see it. It was weird having lost the sense of sight. But, I became much more aware of the sounds of those around me.  I could hear everything.

Thinking about David in this cave made me think about a conversation I had on Thursday with a good friend. I hadn't had a very good week. I wasn't being hunted down like David, but I certainly felt alone, miserable and tired. My friend sat with me and just LISTENED. He hardly said a word. He occasionally acknowledged his support and once in awhile spoke some words of reassurance. But, he didn't solve my problems. (He can't!) All he did was listen. His listening meant more to me than he could ever imagine.

Sometimes all we want is to be heard. Sometimes all people need is a good friend who is there to listen and by listening they lend their support and comfort. Oh, that I could learn to listen like my friend. Praise God he sent this great man into my life at the right moment in time. 

No comments: