Friday, August 5, 2011

Blowing Smoke!

Psalm 141

A psalm of David.
 1 I call to you, LORD, come quickly to me;
   hear me when I call to you.
2 May my prayer be set before you like incense;
   may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.

We don't talk about incense much any more. I don't think I've ever been to a church that burns Incense. I'm sure some churches still do this, but I haven't been to a service which does. In the 60's incense got a bad name and it seems it never made a come back. The Bible talks of it's use often and it nearly always ties it with prayers.

It is such a relaxing vision when we see "smoke" or incense gently rise in the air. But, it is not just smoke. It is also the aroma that fills a room. The "Smoke" of the incense is seen for only a brief time, but the aroma is around much longer even though it can't be seen.

Just like Incense fills a room, our prayers should fill Heaven. There should be a continuous prayer with our Lord. He doesn't just want to see the smoke, he wants to smell the aroma of a lasting prayer life. When we pray only at times of hardship, or when our stress level is high, prayer is like the temporary smoke. But, when we pray continually, as we rise, as we rest, as we walk through our day, God can enjoy the aroma of our prayers. God will listen no matter what, but it is his greatest desire to be continually involved in our life. Praise God he loves to hear from me when I'm mad, when I'm frustrated, when I'm happy, and when we are sad. God loves the aroma of our prayers. May our prayers be more than smoke and fill Heaven with their aroma.

No comments: