Monday, January 2, 2017

What are you praying for in 2017?

“I have not stopped thanking God for you. I pray for you constantly, asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God. I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called—his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭1:16-18‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/eph.1.16-18.nlt





It's that time of year to make New Years Resolutions. The time for breaking them will follow next week!   I have a "goal". My blood sugar has been high for several months. My weight has gone up and I am committed to eat better. For a guy that loves ice cream, that is a daunting task. More important than my weight loss goal is my commitment to prayer in 2017. More specifically, "What am I praying for this year?"


These verses from Ephesians are a great place to start. My prayer is that my family and friends grow more in their knowledge of God. I pray they will draw closer to the creator of all things. I want them to worship more, study his word more, yes, pray more, and serve more. I want them to feel the presence of the Holy Spirit like never before. I could pray for jobs, homes, finances, relationships, health, or many other specific things. Praying they grow closer to God takes care of everything that could come throughout 2017. My wife, daughters, son in laws, grandkids, coworkers, and my friends all need to grow in their knowledge of Jesus. It's not that I am not proud of them, many are my rock and great examples of faithful followers. I know the upcoming 363 days will bring many challenges and battles. I know they can not survive without the power of the almighty God when the storms hit. I know their joy will never be complete without Jesus.  We need Jesus more everyday.

What are you praying for? It's so much more important than any New Years resolution and has eternal benefits in the lives of those you love. To steal a holiday phrase, "It's the gift that keeps on giving!" Lord Jesus, hear our prayers. Come to us, reveal yourself to us, now and forever more. Amen!

No comments: