Saturday, April 14, 2012

What I learned from my parents!

Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that. (Ephesians 5:1 MSG)

 I wish all parents were like mine. At school the number one reason kids are constantly in trouble is lack of parenting at home. I am amazed how early this begins. We even have 1st graders who are out of control. I just keep asking, Where are the parents?"

I love my parents. I am who I am because of my mom and dad. Sure they taught me the basics, how to tie my shoes, ride a bike, play sports, study hard, and love the Lord. They deliberately taught me those things. But, they taught me so much more when they weren't even trying! Parents teach by there actions and reactions to daily life. How they handle stress, how they spend their money, how they treat other people and what they spend their valuable time on. In this regard, my parents taught me the most valuable lessons. It wasn't that they JUST taught me to love the Lord, they did it themselves. They taught me how to handle stress when they had to deal with difficult financial times. They taught me how to love someone like they loved each other. My Dad adored my Mom and treated her with the utmost respect. They taught me that God was number one by making him number one in their life. It wasn't what they said, it was what they did that taught me the most.

Our Heavenly Father and his son, also are teaching us. They both gave us many examples how to live, how to deal with stress, how to deal with troubled relationships in our lives, what's important and who's important. The problem is, most people don't ever get to known the Father and the Son well enough to find the lessons. Prayer, reading your bible, opening your heart to the spirit of God, that's where the lessons are. That's where the father, our heavenly parent, is trying to teach us the most valuable lessons in life. Start learning today!

No comments: