Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Just along for the ride!

Psalm 108

12 Give us aid against the enemy,
   for human help is worthless.
13 With God we will gain the victory,
   and he will trample down our enemies.

When Stephanie and I go on motorcycle rides. I do all the driving. She does not Pilot the motorcycle. It appears to all who see us, that I am doing all the work. But, do you realize she is an integral part of the ride. She is not just along for the ride. When we go through turns, she has to lean precisely with me in order for us to smoothly negotiate the curve. She acts as another pair of eyes to watch other drivers and potential road hazards. We work together for an enjoyable and safe ride. There have been so many times we have been saved because of her vision when I wasn't paying attention. It might look like she's not doing anything, but I am so much safer when she is with me.

In my life, it looks like I am doing everything. It looks like I am the Pilot of my own destiny. But, I can tell you that is not true.  My help comes from the Lord, not humans and certainly not from within me. God really directs my life and is the key to making things smooth and safe. As Christians we take a lot of the credit for aiding the poor and the sick. You would think as followers of Christ we would realize it's not us. When we offer financial aid, or give our time, or talents, it is not us but God who works through us. We should Praise him not praise ourselves. God  puts us in the right place, at the right time, with the right resources to help others. He is the victor! It looks like it's us but we know that God is the one behind us and directing us. 

Why is it we are so quick to praise ourselves and reluctant to praise God! We face a lot of hardship and sickness in this world. Many times we get to the point we feel helpless to overcome those things. Yet, when we do it is not of our hand but the hand of the Lord that deserves the credit. 

Praise God as he is the source of all help and is the only real victor. Really, We are just along for the ride!

No comments: