Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Chocolate works!

Psalm 102

New International Version (NIV)
 1 Hear my prayer, LORD;
   let my cry for help come to you.
2 Do not hide your face from me
   when I am in distress.
Turn your ear to me;
   when I call, answer me quickly.
 3 For my days vanish like smoke;
   my bones burn like glowing embers.
4 My heart is blighted and withered like grass;
   I forget to eat my food. 
5 In my distress I groan aloud
   and am reduced to skin and bones. 

6 I am like a desert owl,
   like an owl among the ruins.
7 I lie awake; I have become
   like a bird alone on a roof.
8 All day long my enemies taunt me;
   those who rail against me use my name as a curse.
9 For I eat ashes as my food
   and mingle my drink with tears
10 because of your great wrath,
   for you have taken me up and thrown me aside.
11 My days are like the evening shadow;
   I wither away like grass.

It seems like I'm always hungry. I have gained some weight over the last couple of years. I used to spend a lot of time running which helped keep my weight down. Now, I am so busy that I don't take the time to run or keep my weight down. When I'm stressed, I eat. Chocolate is the preferred stress relief food. 
I can't relate to forgetting to eat. I have lost my appetite because of a stressful situation but not to the point of forgetting to eat. My entire body is affected by stress. These verses are from a severely stressed person.

I don't handle stress very well on my own. If I try to do it on my own, it usually ends in disaster. I need to trust more in my Savior to get me through these stressful times. Stress is dangerous. Not only can it affect your eating habits, but it can affect everyone physically and mentally. You need to come up with some way to deal with your stress. Prayer works. Letting God speak to you through scriptures works. Diving into Christian service works. Confiding in a close dear friend works. Getting away works. Sleep works. Hobbies work. Sweat works. Chocolate works!

God guarantees stress will be a part of our lives here on Earth. He also guarantees he will help us through tough times. He provides several ways for us to deal with stress. They are gifts from him. He loves us and it pains him to see us suffer, especially when we do not rely on him.

Dear Lord, Help me to deal with the stress in my life. Help me to do positive things to relax and reduce the stressors of my day. Thank You Lord for your love thank you for your grace. I love you and worship your name. Amen!

No comments: