Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Your Faith Family and Prayer


I have come to realize how important my Faith Family is in my life. Stephanie and I are so blessed to have a group of Christ followers that love us, pray for us, and encourage us on our path. Yes, I also have a great biological family that also does these things. It is just UNDERSTOOD that they are an important part of my life. I think people often take for granted or don't even use the power of their faith family to walk through this life. In 1 Samuel, Hannah really needed encouragement. Her husband Elkanah was oblivious to her troubles. She was barren and wanted a son so dearly. Her husband truly loved her, but did not understand the tears and deep anguish. (1 Samuel 1:10) Finally, when things got particularly bleak, Hannah cried out to the Lord. Her prayer was overheard by Eli. He saw her pain. He was touched by it and gave her great words of encouragement;

'Eli responded, “Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant the petition
you’ve requested from Him.” 1 Samuel 1:17

Eli had no idea how his kind words affected Hannah. She poured out her heart to the Lord and he sent Eli to affirm her. Hannah was so distraught before her prayer that she couldn't even eat. After her prayer and the gentle, kind words of Eli, she began to eat and was no longer sad. Praise God for Eli and his willingness to serve the Lord.

We often do not realize how important we are to our Faith Family. We need to put real effort in listening to our brothers and sisters in Christ. We need to be open and transparent together. We need to spend time ENCOURAGING, NOT offering advice. Eli and Hannah weren't particularly close, but Eli heard her prayer. When he finally realized what the prayer was about, he didn't offer advice. He didn't come up with a plan to cure her pain. He supported her and extended her prayer to the Lord.

I am so thankful for my Faith Family. I am thankful for their genuine love and kindness through all of the good times and the bad. I hope and pray I can be there for my faith family.




No comments: