Monday, July 16, 2012

Are we there yet?


Revelation 1

New International Version (NIV)

The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place.


It's the middle of July and family vacations are in full swing. Like most people, I love vacation time. Now that all my kids are grown, it's just Stephanie and I. We have a great time. Our vacations are full of adventure, but are still very relaxing. The most important part of vacation is that I get to spend time with my best friend, ever. Our typical schedule is filled with school, school events, grandkids, family events, and serving others. We just don't have very much time for each other. That's what vacation is all about. We just got back from vacation to the UP of Michigan. It was wonderful. We traveled over 1300 miles on the Harley, camped in our pull behind camper, rode in the rain, ate "Pasties", saw a wonderful wedding, and got to spend time with each other. I'll say it again, I LOVE VACATION!

During family vacations, the kids always ask the infamous question, "Are we there yet?" Stephanie never asks that and I'm thankful. Young kids don't have a very good concept of time. Have you ever tried to explain to a preschooler how long it will take to travel to Florida? It's not easy. The excitement of vacation brings and abundance of Impatience from our kids. Eventually, we get to the destination. But, that only happens after hearing "the question" an infinite number of times. 

God looks at his children the same way. We don't have a very good concept of time when it comes to God's plan. I don't know about you, but I'm not very patient when it comes to waiting on God. When he says "soon" it could be today, tomorrow, next month, next year, or several years. We don't know God's timeline. That's really what faith is all about. Just like Children on vacation, we need to just accept our Father IS in charge and knows the path. He knows the destination, how to get us there and how long it will take. He knows the excitement and adventure we will face along the path. We just have to trust him and leave the trip to him. I can look back on my life and see God's amazing plan unfold in great and wonderful ways. Why should I doubt him when it comes to the future? I need to trust him and hold on for the adventure.  I need to stop asking "Am I there yet?" God doesn't reveal the trip so we will rely on him. If we knew the plan, we would leave him at the start. 

Thank You Lord for this wonderful adventure you have given me. I praise you for vacations, work, and play. Thank You Lord for guiding me and being patient with my childlike attitudes. I love you and look forward to more adventures!

No comments: