Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Motives?


What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. (James 4:1-3 NIV)


We had a great sermon on Sunday at CLCG. Pastor Stu spoke about why we don't get our prayers answered. He provided a list of things that get in the way. Here they are:

Unanswered Prayer is a Red Flag of a Potential Heart Problem-list of hindrances to prayer
Disrespecting your spouse (1Peter 3:7) 
Wrong motives (James 4:3) 
Praying against God’s will (1John 5:14) 
Ignoring the Bible (Proverbs 28:9) 
A non-generous spirit toward the poor (Proverbs 21:13) 
An unforgiving spirit (Matthew 5:23-24/Matthew 6:14) 
Lack of faith (Matthew 17:19-20) 
Paying unfair wages to employees (Malachi 3:5) 
Adultery (Malachi 3:5) 
Divorce (Malachi 2:13-16) 
Treating illegal immigrants poorly (Malachi 3:5) 
Cherished sin in our heart (Psalm 66:18) 
Posted by Senior Pastor, Stuart Kruse at 9:37 AM

Number 2 on the list, wrong motives. I constantly have to check my motives. Am I really wanting the will of God or just my own selfish will. Many of the hindrances to prayer are from wrong motives. Reflect deep inside. Ask the question, why am I praying for [this thing, person]?Pray silently for God to speak to you. I a, confident if you are earnest about searching your motives, God will fill you with his spirit and guide you to his will.

Even in ministry we have to search our motives. Am I doing it to save the lost or for my own kingdom building? Am I more concerned for how I look or Gods kingdom. Am I looking for blessings instead of being a blessing? God knows our hearts, he knows our motives. He just wants us to yield to him. Lord help us do everything for his glory, not our own

No comments: