Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Please Lord, keep me from stepping in front of a moving bus!




'Lord , have mercy on me. See how my
enemies torment me. Snatch me back from
the jaws of death.'
Psalms 9:13 https://my.bible.com/bible/116/PSA.9.13



My first thought about this verse is -- Do I have enemies? There is no question David had enemies. Saul and his armies tried to kill him. The Philistines were constantly at war with him and their greatest prize was the Head of David. The Bible talks about our enemies and loving them. But, it really made me think. Who are those enemies?  Here is the Dictionary.com definition:

a person who feels hatred for, fosters harmful designs against, or engages in antagonistic activities against another; an adversary or opponent.
an armed foe; an opposing military force:The army attacked the enemy at dawn.
a hostile nation or state.
a citizen of such a state.

Some might claim their enemies are a group of people like "liberals", "democrats", "atheists". Others might feel their own neighbors are enemies. Some have people within their own families that are enemies. It amazes me that tow REAL FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST can be enemies. But, I ask the question:

"How responsible am I for creating my list of enemies?"

Personally, I can tell you I have created most of my enemies. So many times I choose to argue, antagonize, foster harmful designs, or show real hate, toward others. I know this is not ALWAYS true. But, I believe if we really look at our lists of enemies we can look at SOME responsibility for placing people in that category.

At least part of my prayer should be for the Lord to KEEP ME FROM MAKING ENEMIES. I love the last sentence in the verse, "Snatch me back from the Jaws of Death".  I picture a parent grabbing a young child as they nearly step in front of moving car. God is trying to keep us from making enemies of his children. God does not want us to separate ourselves from others in hatred. He does not want us to antagonize or wish ill to those we disagree with. 

This has really been on my mind lately. I have had many SOCIAL MEDIA DEBATES in recent times. Please Lord, keep me from making enemies on social media. Please Lord, keep me from stepping in front of a moving bus!



No comments: