Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Elf on the Shelf?

“But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:6‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/mat.6.6.nlt

My grandkids will be getting a surprise this morning. They have an extra pair of eyes watching them. This creepy little elf will do his best to remind us that Christmas is just around the corner and they better keep themselves OFF the naughty list.

I’m not sure what I think about this. As a kid, I knew my parents controlled the naughty/nice report to Santa. I was more worried about my dad than some cute little doll staring at me while I completed my homework. But, it’s all meant in fun and Christmas is such a fun time of the year. As a parent, manipulating your children can be fulltime entertainment,especially around Christmas.

As an adult, I am more aware of the eyes of my father watching me. I want to make sure my faith matches my actions. I need to pray,  not from a selfish attitude, but with the will of the father first on my list. I need to demonstrate God’s love and grace not to earn some type of reward or magical Christmas gift. I need to serve like Jesus served so that others will see His love and maybe, just maybe, decide to join the kingdom.

The elf on the shelf is great for young children. It reminds them that their actions have consequences. As adults, we also need to realize our actions have eternal consequences. God is watching us. He sees our actions and he sees deep into our heart. Work to please the Lord! Do his will, Love him with your hands and feet. Praise God for this wonderful life he gives us! God is watching!

No comments: