Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Temples and Sodas!

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. (1 Corinthians 6:19, 20 NIV)

The courts have just turned down NYC Mayor Bloombergs ban on Super size sodas. I have to admit I am glad. I just don't like the idea of "Big Brother" trying to dictate what I do. I'm independent and feel I can make those decisions on my own. My best example of how it should be done is from the creator of the universe. God COULD tell us how to live. He knows how we like to harm ourselves. He knows the consequences of our poor choices. He knows the cost of our sin because he paid the price for it. Yet, he still gives us free choice. I know the argument that poor health costs all of us through insurance and health care costs. Sin costs all of us also. Your poor decisions affect you, your family, friends, and community. Yet, God still gives us free choice. He does everything he can to convince us to follow the right path, yet stops at the edge.

Just like you can't legislate healthy choices, you can't legislate morality. The consequences are severe, but we are given the choice. Take care of your body, your mind, and your spirit for it is pleasing to The Lord. YOU have to make the choice, he won't do it for you.

No comments: