Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I like myself more this way!

Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil. (Psalm 37:8 NIV)

I can tell I'm getting older every day. I enjoy watching the Andy Griffith show, Gunsmoke, and Bonanza. That should say it all. I'm more fascinated with the history channel than reality tv and  Things that used to "Set me off" are few and far between. I am saddened more than angered. I also don't fret like I have in the past, even a year ago. I enjoy being bored and am more apt to take drives through the country than speed to my "appointment". I treasure an afternoon nap and thoroughly enjoy sitting with my wife, even though nothing much is said. I look forward to every moment with my daughters  and grandkids as if they were my last. Yep, I'm getting old.

You know what?

 I like life more this way.

God is continuing to work in me. His patience with me is amazing. It's taken 52 years for him to make headway. No, it's not really his fault. It's me! My sinful stubbornness has slowed the process considerably. But, after the hustle and bustle of my life, Bible verses like this are making more sense to me. I just wish it hadn't taken so long.

 So, here's my advice, don't wait so long to listen to the word. Act on it now, slow down enjoy every day like its the best day of your life. Slowing down keeps you from rushing into sin and dealing with thoughtless mistakes. Take this advice from a guy who has finally realized what REAL life is about.

No comments: