Thursday, June 23, 2022

Israel 2022 - Reflections - The Unexpected Reveal

 


To say that Israel is a treasure of discovery would be a gross understatement. The discoveries of new sites and treasures are happening nearly every day. As we were traveling between Mount Carmel and Megiddo, right next to the road, we found an unexpected treasure. Our wonderful tour guide warned us ahead of time that something special would be revealed on the left side of the bus. Sure enough, as the bus slowed (there was no place to pull off) a first-century tomb with a perfectly round stone appeared before our eyes. 

Our tour guide proceeded to tell us this first-century Jewish tomb was revealed in 1970 when the road was being widened. This tomb would be nearly identical to the tomb Jesus was buried after his crucifixion. 

I have lived life for over sixty years without needing to see the places we saw in Israel. My faith has never been stronger than it is today. I don't need to see the place my Savior was crucified, or where he was born. My faith is well beyond this. My faith is strong because of the evidence found in my own life. But, I feel so blessed that God has chosen to reveal these things to us. Today, after the trip to Israel, my faith is different. Besides the evidence of my life, I also have the solid, physical evidence, he truly did walk with us. Yes, something as simple as a first-century tomb, uncovered during a road construction project, is a gift from the Lord. 

This was a brief "drive-by" encounter. As we continued on to Megiddo, I had time to think about the historicity of our faith and the overwhelming evidence supporting the Bible and Jesus, God, coming to live with us. God has chosen to reveal these sites in Israel to support the faith of his followers, to encourage us, to demonstrate his power, and to draw us closer to him.

I wonder how many people traveled past this site before 1970 and never noticed the tomb? 

I wonder how many of us travel through life and don't recognize God's gifts and blessings, his presence that is revealed to us?

The world can be a scary place. Christians around the world face daily persecution. On this trip, we heard about the terrible persecution of our fellow Palestinian Christians. My only comfort is to know that God will reveal himself to these faithful followers as they grow in their faith. When he reveals himself, it is so much more powerful than zooming by a first-century tomb. When God reveals himself in your life and in my life, we are transformed. We are drawn closer to him. We feel his presence and most importantly we feel his perfect love. 

I pray that God will reveal himself to those being persecuted around the world. But, I also pray he will reveal his power and glory to YOU!


"But don't be afraid of those who threaten you. For the time is coming when everything that is covered will be revealed, and all that is secret will be made known to all." (Matthew 10:26, NLT)



No comments: