Monday, June 27, 2022

Israel 2022 - Reflections - The Sea of Galilee Part 1

 


On the trip we had the great opportunity to see an ancient Galilean boat discovered by two fishermen in the small town of Genessaret.  Here is a short video that talks about the boat found in 1986.



Below is a picture of the "Jesus Boat."  There is absolutely no indication or way of knowing if this was a boat used by Jesus. However, it is so easy for your mind to wonder if Jesus could have been on board this small vessel!



This is a small model of a first-century boat typically found on the Sea of Galilee. 


I was fascinated that this twelve-mile long, seven-mile wide fresh water lake had such fierce storms. But, it is located more than 600 feet below sea level and the geography of the area makes it prone to violent storms as the wind comes over the mountains on to the lake. Below is a picture taken in May 2021 in the town of Tiberias. The boardwalk area was devastated by a storm on the Sea of Galilee.


As I was touring the ancient boat and pondering Jesus' life on this lake, my mind instantly wandered to Mark 4:35-41.

'As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, “Let’s cross to the
other side of the lake.” So they took Jesus in the boat and started
out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed).
But soon a fierce storm came up. High waves were breaking into
the boat, and it began to fill with water. Jesus was sleeping at the
back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke
him up, shouting, “Teacher, don’t you care that we’re going to
drown?” When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to
the waves, “Silence! Be still!” Suddenly the wind stopped, and
there was a great calm. Then he asked them, “Why are you
afraid? Do you still have no faith?” The disciples were absolutely
terrified. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “Even the
wind and waves obey him!”' Mark 4:35-41 https://my.bible.com/bible/116/MRK.4.35-41


As I looked out over the calm, almost glassy, Sea of Galilee, it was hard for me to imagine a storm. We are so grateful when Jesus calms the storms of our life. Everyone faces those storms, loss of loved ones, broken relationships, financial turmoil, and sickness. But, Jesus always brings us through it!

I don't want to discount the intensity of the storms of life. I have been through some "hurricane" type storms. But, is it fair for us to just look at the storms in life in order to praise Jesus?  

In my life, I can count 5 major storms faced by my family. We had a child born with special needs, miraculously she survived after having had major surgery. We suffered serious financial ruin and a teen pregnancy. Finally, we faced a career crisis that led to our retirement. We were only able to survive these storms because of Jesus. Jesus calmed these storms. 

But, out of the sixty-two years, I have walked this earth, most of my life has been as calm and tranquil as the Sea of Galilee the day we visited. I could focus on the storms. I could dwell on the past, but instead, I praise God, from whom all blessings flow, that 99% of my life is calm, filled with blue-sky, light winds, and a peace that surpasses all understanding. 

I am extremely thankful for Jesus calming the storms, but I am equally thankful for the joy of my life between the storms, looking out over stilled waters. Thank you, Jesus!




No comments: